Re: [LI] Cards PCI v/s AGP

> The reason the X performance was so slow may have been because the earlier
> Xfree86 servers did not support the video RAM on the card properly.

Venu,
First of all, I must thank you for the interest shown. It is wonderful
to find
someone to discuss this issue, which happens to be a problem for my
case.

> You
> should try the latest XFree86-3.3.6 servers, where the performance seems
> to be pretty acceptable.

Hey! Right now I am using the server that came with RHL 6.1. Do you
remember which server is that? I do not remember the series right now.
Also, I take your word when you say that the performance is acceptable.
In my terms, it should mean that S3 Trio 3D/2x card with 8 MB RAM should
run everything smoothly, even the zoomed movies on MTVP, right?

So I will go check the number/version of my XF86server and report back.
My problem was that a 4 MB PCI [but Virge] card was much faster to be
configured and run, compared to an 8 MB AGP 2x card. Now I will have to
check it once again...

Also, I am shifting to Windows 95 from WinNT4. Reason? I can not mount
partitions of Linux on NT for reading... NT disallows direct access of
HDD.

> However, you may not get a working server for all
> video modes.

This problem exists with this PCI card also which I got for 1350 bucks.
Was it the right price to get it for? This card does not accept 24 bpp
at all. Either it is 8, 16 or 32 straight.

> (www.xfree86.org), where a few issues regarding this card are addressed.

Will do. Thanks a million.

> However, it is stated in the READMEs and the documentation of all the
> Xfree86 servers that the S3 Virge range of cards are far better supported
> (at this time) than the S3 Trio range, for whom support was added only
> recently.

Right.
Venu, can you give me some idea? Have we discussed it before? I want a
good card, on Linux, which can give good video/graphic [including X]
performance? I am sick of waiting to see my dialogue boxes drawn etc.

Another thing, I have a P3/450/128/8 GB Samsun IDE [which I think has
the fastest seek time and data transfer rate in 8 GB IDE range] but my
system seems to CRAWL all the time. Especailly Video. Are there any tips
for streamlining one's system in Linux? I use Enlightenment for window
manager, BUT I also have pretty high ram, isn't it? My friend Jaju,
seems to be running similar configurations at IIT B, with a Cirrus Logic
card, much faster [though I have not seen movies there, his windows are
drawn really fast, and so are workspace changes.... smoooooooooth]

Thanks a million, for the response, Venu. And others too, see if you can
please help something here...

Rohit