Re: [LI] Cards PCI v/s AGP

The reason the X performance was so slow may have been because the earlier
Xfree86 servers did not support the video RAM on the card properly. You
should try the latest XFree86-3.3.6 servers, where the performance seems
to be pretty acceptable. However, you may not get a working server for all
video modes. For example, over here on a S3 Trio 3d (not a 2X) AGP, 24 bit
1024x768 works, but not 1024x768 in *any* other color depth. Of course,
the mileage you get may vary, so you can try this card out. If you still
have any problems, try consulting the XFree86 FAQ at their website
(www.xfree86.org), where a few issues regarding this card are addressed.
However, it is stated in the READMEs and the documentation of all the
Xfree86 servers that the S3 Virge range of cards are far better supported
(at this time) than the S3 Trio range, for whom support was added only
recently.

								yours,
								venu