Re: [LI] Sendmail Query ! No Not about relays :-)

Thus spake Syed Khader Vali:

> [LI] Sendmail Query ! No Not about relays :-)

                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's for me I suppose ;)  Oh well, ... here goes nothing.

> A very funny thing is happening on my Debian Box.
> I have installed Sendmail and using it as my mail server.

Not so funny - I hardly expect you'll use sendmail as a print server ;)

> Now when I try to send a mail from the user root to someother user
> avenger, the mail stays in the queue as 'Deferred'. I have installed

Which means that some kind of fat mail is still stuck in the mail queue.
Wait for the bounces, or flush the mail queue.  Or sendmail runs out of
memory because some kind of memory hogging job is also running
simultaneously, so it freezes, sort of.

> sendmail afresh and still i get this problem. ANybody tell me what's
> happening ??

Can't tell - post the contents of /var/log/maillog (not the whole bloody
lot, just the relevant bits <g>) - or just see the contents for yourself,
to get a clue :)

Quick fix - try restarting (rather than reinstalling) sendmail and see
what happens. If worst comes to worst, try changing the hostname of your
box - this sometimes helps reset everything back to normal (God only knows
why).

Suresh Ramasubramanian     | President, CAUCE India
r.suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   | suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.india.cauce.org | Stopping Spam In India
--
And it should be the law: If you use the word `paradigm' without knowing
what the dictionary says it means, you go to jail.  No exceptions.