Re: [LI] NIIT Goes Linux

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, thus spake Atul Chitnis:

> This is again turning into a negative discussion. Can't Linux people in
> India see the positive side to *anything*? This place is turning out to be
> worse than Slashdot!

A backhanded compliment, sort of ;)

> I don't know what things look like from your end, but from where I
> operate, the corporate world places great importance on any kind of
> certification from NIIT or Aptech - and so far this has largely been

You should see the centers in Hyderabad, both NIIT and Aptech. Atrocious
(esp Aptech, where the course content is non existent).  After doing most
of a four year course in Aptech (I junked it quite some time ago), and
talking to NIIT students - I've found that the major gripes are :

1. Wild variations in standards due to indiscriminate franchising, and
very high turnover of faculty (I remember a case when we ran through 6
faculty members in a semester, and most of the classes for C++ were taken
in four days flat).

2. Very bad reputation in the job market - even Dataquest / Computers
Today etc surveys attest to their abysmal placement record (at least in
programming etc sectors).

> establishing Linux even more in the right quarters. And the timing
> couldn't have been better.

In this - I wholeheartedly agree.  It's a good sign, when Linux is deemed
to be popular enough that it's introduced ~before~ a Microsoft course, and
I congratulate NIIT for this.

> Sheesh!

Sheesh from my side - having seen their seamier side at first hand :(

[ok, am not posting any more about this, I've gone hopelessly off topic,
for which I apologize]

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian     | President, CAUCE India
r.suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   | suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx