A suggestion [was re: [LI] Programmers]

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, thus spake Gurunandan R. Bhatt:

> Not at all. I too spent some time wondering whether this deserved a
> [COMMERCIAL] tag. In the end I decided to leave it to the better

Thanks Prof - and may I suggest that it be included just in case, purely
as a method of filtering posts to different folders?

Thus spake Atul Chitnis:

> more like-minded company in the linux-india-programmers mailing list.

8<

> LI lists machine ;-) on breaking the current LI list into various focus
> groups, so this could change (for the better) "Real Soon Now".

Thaths, Atul, List -

Instead of fragmenting the entire list into LI General, LI Programmers,
and perhaps LI RedHatters and LI Debianers ;) --

1. Introduce a set of list topics - these are prefixes like :

HELP: (for help queries), PROG: (programming / kernel hack), SYSAD:
(system admin and networking queries), MAIL: (email based queries),
HWAR: (hardware, sis card etc) queries, COMM: (commercial posts).

Also the two extra - META: for list specific info (like this post) and
MISC: for miscellaneous or off-topic stuff.  Posts without a topic will be
tagged MISC: (which some people with crowded mailboxes may filter to
dev/null).

With a list manager like ListServ, people can choose to subscribe /
unsubscribe from various topics, as he chooses.

This is much easier to filter using procmail or mail client filters, than
subscribing to a dozen lists.  The hassle with creating several LI-* lists
is that, suppose you change your mail id, you have to unsubscribe and
resubscribe to several different lists, instead of one single list.

Please consider this and comment.  It involves list discipline, and
initially, a few posts may be lost.  However, if once this is implemented,
filtering and managing this list becomes very easy - esp as LI is
extremely high bandwidth.

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian     | President, CAUCE India
r.suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   | suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx