Re: [LI] Redhat-6.1 Installation

Hi

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Dr. Sarat Kumat Patra wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have a few problems with Linux installation. I will appreciate any
> ponters or help in this regard.
>
> 1. I have installed Red Hat Linux 6.1 on a Intel Celeron PC with
> Intel810 mother board and it
> it containds the PCI-SVGA  intel 810 choset on the board. This graphics
> driver I suppose is not supported by RH6.1. Can I get some help about
> how to
> Install Xwindows on the machine. I am using a Proview monitor. I could
> Install RH6.1 but failed with Xwindows.
If I am not mistaking that driver is available on intel web site. List
please correct me.

> 2. I want to make this machine a server primarily for NFS and NIS.
> Should I go for server Installation or cusrom installation installing
> everything?
If you understand what you are doing, custom is good way to go. Anyway you
don't want to install development librarieson a NFS server. Right?
(Actually I should say you should install. Here in my office I don't have
access to linux machine. But our mail server runs on linux. So I get lots
of doubt cleared by telnetting to our mail server. But unfortunately no
development libraries are installed. Actually development libraries are
there but no gcc, no vi, no pico. No editor is nightmare. Even to prepare
.bash_profile, I need to use cat. Pine is only available thing that
works. So for souls like me, install everything they need. I will bless
you for that)
) >

> 3. I also want to install few diskless machines in my network. I saw
> some mail regarding this with respect to PCQuest Dec 1999. Could some
> one help me in this regard(Anyone who has a record of the discussion).

Visit www.ilug-bom.org. A whole howto is preseted there.

 Hope this helps.

  Bye
   Shridhar