Re: [LI] Linux over FreeBSD

On Mon, Jan 17, 2000 at 09:09:03AM +0530, Satya wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I recently read in an article that FreeBSD is more suited for hosting a web
> service (basically as a server) when compared to Linux - which is more
> suited for DeskTop applications.
>
> I obviously did not have access to the data on which the article was based
> upon. Can somebody please throw some light on this one?

It's hard to find objective data on this - it's like asking which one is
better: Linux or Windows ? The data keeps changing as both Linux and
BSD evolve.

Ultimately you have to do your own research. Download both and try them
out. Some facts that both Linux and BSD camps agree on:

1. Linux has more developers, more end users, changes very fast, sometimes
   in incompatible ways.

2. Linux has more commercial software.

3. FreeBSD has Linux binary emulation.

4. FreeBSD changes slowly and resembles commercial software more than
   Linux does in development methodology and release cycles.

5. Linux falls under GNU public license, FreeBSD uses the FreeBSD license.
   You have the option of having closed source changes to FreeBSD, but
   you are required to make all changes to Linux open source.

6. Linux is a kernel. There are many Linux distributions. FreeBSD is both
   the kernel and a small set of system programs and libraries maintained
   in the same source control (CVS) tree.

7. Linux distributions have more advanced binary packaging than FreeBSD.
   FreeBSD has a nifty mechanism called ports, which makes the life of
   people who prefer building from source easier.

	-Arun