Re: [LI] deleting unwanted mail from VSNL server

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 07:26:01PM +0530, Rajesh Fowkar wrote:

> How can I delete mail from the server before downloading ? in such
> case now.
>
> PC QUEST has given an Email client for Windows (FOXMAIL), in which
> you can download only the headers of the message and the mark the
> messages as delete before downloading. This was one of the best

Yes - and Pegasus has the feature too!

If you need this only once in a while, you can just login to the
POP server manually!

    telnet POPSERVR 110
    USER username
    PASS password
    LIST
    DELE 1
    TOP 4 10
    DELE 4
    QUIT

In the above example, the LIST gave me a list of my emails with
bytesizes.  I right away decided that #1 is useless and deleted
it.  Then I decided I want to see the headers and the 1st 10 body
lines of #4.  Having seen the headers, I decided to delete it.

This is great for occasional use!

If you want to do this regularly (always examine the headers
before) then I believe that there may be a Perl program to do that
somewhere - as you can see the concept is not all that difficult.

Let me know if you want me to search for that...

God bless plain-text based protocols :-)