Re: [LI] News Server setup

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 skhader@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Anyway I want to setup a internal news server, so I won't be needing a
> feed.
> Just a discussion group for internal use.

Assuming RHL:

- Make sure that the inn system is installed (rpm -q inn)

- Run ntsysv and enable innd

- (first time only) run /etc/rc.d/init.d/innd start

- create newsgroups (man ctlinnd)

- give access rights to everyone (edit /etc/news/nnrp.access)

e.g.

You want to create a local group that discusses a highly secret linux
distro you are creating, want to let everyone read/post to that group (so
much for secrecy), and leave a mark that you created this group

ctlinnd newgroup in.ibm.linux.distro y skhader

edit /etc/news/nnrp.access and add this line:

*.in.ibm.com:Read Post:::*

Now point your newsreader at your linuxbox, and have fun.

There is more to a formal news server setup for external access, but for
private discussions, this will do.

BTW - why don't you use Notes for Linux instead? It has equivalent
functionality.

And when is IBM bringing out a Notes *client* for Linux?

Atul