[LI] Re : Modules

Yes! you can easily access any data structures of the kernel and also you
can change the LDT,GDT,etc. This is the beauty of Linux. I think the Linus
believes that if one is doing something as part of the kernel, whether
module, he/she should be able to access the things which he want to access
and manipulate. As far as the variable name clash is considered in older
kernel one has to take care of which variables or suitably- identifiers
he/she wants to export.He'she has to register those identifiers explicitly
in his module. Now this has been taken care by the developers of Linux
kernel.

Security doesn't mean thwart people from getting something, as SVR4 does.
Ajit
Best way to learn Linux is to put comments in the source code