[LI] More on modules

I have some questions:

Suppose I write a module for a new device that can be used in place of a
HDD. Now I need to have the module loaded into memory as soon as the
system boots up so that once the system is up I am able to access the
device just like a HDD. How do you write a loader which will do this or
rather what is the mechanism that automatically loads modules into the
kernel at boot time ?

If I do not have a HDD and have only this device, how do I boot from this
device using the module ?

Any pointers would be very helpful.

TIA