[LI] [Administrative] Linux India outages and some stats

Folks,

As many of you might have noted the various LI mailing lists had some
outage over the past 3 days.  I have now fixed the problem so things should
be back on track for The Great Renaming that I expect to get to in the next
week or so.  Sorry for the downtime.  I was playing around with an alpha of
majordomo 2.0 and things sort of got messy.

And now for the interesting bit.  A few of you wanted some statistics on
the membership of the LI lists.  I ran grep over the combined LI and LID
membership (after running sort and uniq) and got these nice numbers:

www:~ $ wc linux-india.combined
    905     904   19657 linux-india.combined

Going at the present rate I expect the total to cross a 1K in about 2
months.

www:~ $ grep -e "\.in$" linux-india.combined | wc
    165     165    4026

A rather low number of people subscribed from a .in TLD.

www:~ $ grep -e "\.ac\.in$" linux-india.combined | wc
      4       4      99

www:~ $ grep -e "\.ernet\.in$" linux-india.combined | wc
     57      57    1428

www:~ $ grep -e "\.res\.in$" linux-india.combined  | wc
      5       5     108

Almost 33% of those in the .in TLD are in academic institutions.

www:~ $ grep -e "\.co\.in$" linux-india.combined | wc
     13      13     311

Not too many posting from their companies.

www:~ $ grep -e "satyam\.net\.in$" linux-india.combined  | wc
      5       5     124

www:~ $ grep -e "vsnl\.com$" linux-india.combined | wc
     44      44     738

www:~ $ grep -e "vsnl\.net\.in$" linux-india.combined | wc
     47      47    1191

Many people seem to use the two dominant ISPs.  (Note: I did not count the
various variants of satyam).

www:~ $ grep -e "\.net\.in$" linux-india.combined | wc
     69      69    1697

I don't know if the preceding number is of any value.

www:~ $ grep -e "\.com$" linux-india.combined | wc
    577     577   12383

The .com TLD seems to be the most popular.

www:~ $ grep -e "hotmail\.com$" linux-india.combined | wc
     96      96    2123

www:~ $ grep -e "yahoo\.com$" linux-india.combined | wc
     87      87    1803

www:~ $ grep -e "excite\.com$" linux-india.combined | wc
      1       1      25

www:~ $ grep -e "netscape\.net" $" linux-india.combined | wc
      1       1      21

Hotmail lead the free web based email segment with Yahoo not too far
behind.  Excite and Netscape seem to be non-starters.

www:~ $ grep -e "\.edu$" linux-india.combined | wc
     14      14     261

The venerable old .edu TLD has a miniscule representation in the LI lists.

And running some scripts on the majordomo log file (Nov 21 - Jan 10) yields
the following:

List					subs	unsubs
mailing list has fallen as more and more people move to the digestified
version.

A disturbing observation is the fact that many people who get moved to the
bounces mailing list (this happens when too many emails from the mailing
lists to your address start bouncing back with errors) do not seem to get
back onto the main mailing lists.

Back to your regularly scheduled flame wars.

List Admin
--
"If there were any justice, my face would be on a bunch of crappy
                 merchandise" -- Homer J. Simpson