Re: [[LI] Setting up a mail and webserver]

> if u have been given a vsat line, then surely u also have been given a
domain
> name... if not u have to register a domain name with NIC...

Not necessarily with NIC. It can be from Internic or even from NCST too.

> for setting up a webserver with the domain name registered , will the home
> page reside locally in the college or it will lie in the vsnl or aboroad
> server. like wise will the mail reside on the local server or outside
server.

> Everything will be at your end...

Depends on what option u chose......the first one or the second one....
maybe u can have the website at ur end and the mails, DNS etc. on a remote
server on the internet.

> as it is, a simple default linux installation will be enough to serve your
> purpose, to get into firewalls, seperate email and web, keep writing and
> posting queries
>              please enlighten me on the issues.
>                                     Thanks
>                                          Rajil

Yep that would work but the complete setup would work only after you have
properly set ur domain name, DNS thingi....etc.

VaibhaV Sharma
Indian Linux Users Group Indore Chapter