Re: [LI] Re: Buggy RH 6.1

Hello

> I am not flaming !!! but this time my personal opinion is that
> the RH 6.1 C D which has been provided by PC Quest

There are a few - documented - bugs in the PCQ redhat CD (such as DNS etc)
for which fixes are detailed at http://www.exocore.com/linux

(I have a sort of feeling Atul is going to join this thread with a polite
request for you to rtfm first, before criticizing the PCQ CD <g>)

Anyway - my 2 cents -

> 1.    On my very first upgrade from Chip's RH 6.0 many of
> the  dependencies were  broken and i cant even get what

Chip Mag sent out a totally screwed up and broken version of Redhat 6 -
which in itself is a slightly buggy beast.

> 2.    Then i re installed and then whenever i ran KDE --- the
> KFM crashed and then i had to reboot my system

Sounds like one or two libraries are missing in your install.  I don't
know - am using Gnome, which is working pretty OK.  Maybe you did a custom
install of some sort?

> 4.    After every other thing i now found out that i am not able
> to print or even linux is not able to detect my

In /etc/conf.modules - set "alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc" without the
quotes naturally <g> and restart lpd (using printtool say).  Set the
filter to your printer (most are supported, for HP 700 series - Atul has a
driver somewhere).

If your printer just prints blank lines - in the filter, alias LF<->CR/LF
(by checking the "stairstepping text" option).  If the printer does not
autoeject the page - set the checkbox to force page eject.

I'm using a Deskjet 670c which prints ASCII and PS files quite well.

> 5.  When trying to compile my code for KDE i also get the same
> problem for th e depepndency of Qt lib ot KDE lib

Reinstall KDE (or at least the missing lib files) from the RedHat/RPMs
directory.

> 6.    Earlier  in KFM i was able to browse through my tar.gz files
> withought un zipping them now KDE gives problem.

I am not having this problem - tar.gz shows up as a "packing crate" icon,
and if I click it, contents are displayed as a seperate folder (kinda like
Migenix's ZipMagic in WinDUH)

> (and when i try to browse through a tar.gz file all i get to see
> are some other  directories)

8<

> So i came to a conclusion that RH 6.1 is buggy this time

Tell you what - backup any programming or other stuff you have, nuke the
existing install and reinstall instead of upgrading.  That will solve
most of your problems [1]

[1] (unless your CD has some minor faults / scratches, so that a few
modules are not installed properly - try a fresh CD in that case)

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian     | CAUCE India
r.suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   | suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx