Re: [LI] Putting linux utilities and K themes on my site - legal ?

Rajesh -

> It depends on the copyrights of the individual files that you have.
> There's no generic answer.  I'd suggest that you re-look for these on
> the 'net and check out their copyrights.

IIRC - no hassle on distributing these, as long as you ask permission from
the authors first.  If the file is GPL'd - you are perfectly free to
redistribute it as you see fit - as long as you don't make money from it.

However, there is one hassle you have forgotten.  Most free website
providers (like Geocities, where you host your site) are strongly against
your using it as a download site for utilities.

They are generally strapped for bandwidth and are quite capable of nuking
your site if they find out that you are using it as a Linux download
location (or any other s/w for that matter).  In fact, they have a certain
bandwidth transfer quota and will start noticing it once your site crosses
that quota.

Besides, with the slow speed of geocities, I for one would prefer not to
download any s/w hosted on those pages.

Also - think about what differentiates your site from say linuxberg :-)
Get into something where you know you are more or less unique - that's the
secret of a good site.

For example - see http://www.icct.net/~ajackson - Alan Jackson has a quite
nice, basic site (linux setup hints, and a script for migrating mail from
Pegasus Mail for win32 to the mh mail handler on linux).

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian     | CAUCE India
r.suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   | suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx