Re: [LI] Multiple POP Accounts

On Tue, Dec 28, 1999 at 03:23:33PM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> # Attribution line
> #folder-hook . set attribution="On %d at %t, thus spake %n : "
>
> ^^^ Can someone give me the correct syntax for this one?

You need single quotes around the whole set line, like so:

    folder-hook . 'set attribution="On ..."'

Also, note that the %t doesnt do what you think it does - the time
is already in the %d string.

> # Include list specific stuff
> source ~/.mutt-lists
>
> ^^ this is what you want.

> folder-hook list my_hdr From: xxxx@xxxxxx (x x \
> xxxxx )

IIRC the original poster did not ask specifically about lists and
how to use a different email address when responding to a list.

He had multiple email addresses, and needed to use all of them
simultaneously, with mutt.  (These different POP3 mailboxes are
queried and the email downloaded thru - I assume - something like
fetchmail, and the mails are waiting to be read/responded to).

In other words, the requirement is something like "If I'm replying
to an email that was sent to me@xxxxxxxx, I want to reply with the
from header set to me@xxxxxxxx, while if I'm replying to an email
sent to me@xxxxxxxx I want the from header to be me@xxxxxxxx".

The solution to this is too simple - I feel ashamed that I spent
so much time mucking around with hooks and my_hdrs and what-not!

    set reverse_name

That's it!  Hope this helps the 2 folks who asked me for this
info.

Please note that your email will still go thru the same SMTP
servers in either case.  So if someone looked at the Received:
headers they could easily figure out where you actually sent it
from.

To make sendmail itself use different SMTP servers is a little
more complex.  One way would be to use send-hooks to change the
"sendmail" variable and give it a command with a different config
file (one that contained a different value for DR or DS).

But then sendmail wouldnt run as root, and I have no idea what
happens in those cases if the mail gets queued due to lack of
connectivity at that time or something...

For most folks I hope the "set reverse_name" will do quite well.