[LI] SiS 6326 / Samtron 55E

Hi,

I tried to install RH Linux 6.1 on a system using a Samtron 55E
monitor and a SiS 6326 AGP with 8 MB RAM. During the display
configuration, I was unable to load X server correctly. I chose
Samtron 5E since it was the closest one (I managed to install
successfully using the 5E driver for Samtron 50E). The video card
was detected correctly. I chose "No clockchip timing" for the card
and tried to run X using -probeonly. X started up but the dialog box
had black areas where the text should have been!

Because of this I was unable to install GNOME or KDE. However
the same configuration worked properly when I installed RHL 6.0
There I tried Generic VGA even though SiS6326 was mentioned.

Can anyone point the reason for the failure of RHL 6.1?

Also is there any way to prevent LILO from writing to the boot
sector every time it starts? Can't it work like Boot Manager that
comes with OS/2?

Bye,
Arun.