[LI] SiS 6215c temp soln...

>>From: "Shalabh Choudhri." <salabh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LI] Prob. with X-configuration....

hi dude's,
been posting this mesg. for quite some time & have got a reply or 2. But i
am more or less stuck till-date:-(
I hope this time someone out there(not up there) can help me ;-)
I am using the linux6.1 from PCQ-nov issue, and am not able to improve the
resolution to anything better than 640x480 using a VGA16 server. When i link
X(both /etc/X11/X and /usr/X11R6/bin/X) to the SVGA server the cusor appears
as a block.
While running win95 I am using 800x600 true color, small font refresh rate
60. The card is SiS6215C.

<<

Hi dude (Shalabh),
	  	   I have managed to get a work-around to this problem, though
not a solution. I dont know if you know this already(i joined the list only
yesterday).

Uninstall the XF86_SVGA server that shipped with PCQ Linux 6.1 and install the
older version of it that shipped with PCQ Linux 5.2. (take the one present in
pcqupdate directory of the older PCQ CD and NOT the one in the original red
hat directory). now run XF86Setup, and select the SiS SG86C215 card from the
card database. Now go to do the detailed setup and keep the Ramdac and
Clockchip settings uncommitted and select the chipset as sis86c205 if its not
selected aleady. Set the videoram, ... .
With this my linux box is running fine at 1024x768 at 8bpp(using the SVGA
server of course) but there is intolerable snowing at 800x600. It was probably
Kishore Bhargava who wrote in Nov PCQ that the SiS 6215c "works like a charm".
I have written to him asking how but haven't got a reply till date. With me,
not only did the cursor appear as block, but no font was visible at all:
everything was dark rectangles. Anyway, i will be looking forward to a more
direct solution to this problem from someone...

all the best,
joy.