Re: [LI] AGP/PCI

On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 12:48:20PM +0530, Shanker Balan wrote:
> Arun Sharma wrote:
>
> > Shanu's mail about the i810 is the first time I saw someone implement
> > AGP/GART support. I'd read up about AGP quite a bit - but never got
> > a chance to do anything about it myself. For those curious about AGP,
> > there are good docs at:
> >
> > http://developer.intel.com/technology/agp/tutorial/index.htm
>
> 	Oh... So that's what the agpgart module does! Does this mean that the
> i810 would perform very well when compared to other vga chipsets on
> Linux ???

Only for 3D graphics. The conversion of abstract 3D object represented
by formulas to tangible screen renderings is done by a combination of
hardware and software. A big chunk of the graphics hardware is dedicated
to this. 2D graphics is no longer the focus of the market.

> 	How come we dont have this module featuring in other popular chipsets
> for which full programing data sheet is available like the G200 ?
> What about frame buffering and GART ?

Till recently, Intel did not document the details of programming the
GART. GART is a part of the chipset, not the graphics card.

> BTW: What does GART stand for ?

Graphics address remapping table. It's very similar to the MMU of
the processor, but exists outside the processor, in the chipset.

Read the above URL for the details.

	-Arun