Re: [LI] AGP/PCI

On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 08:43:14PM +0530, Rohit wrote:
> Is there any advantage to having an AGP card over a PCI card
> for the same model and chipset? Like Riva AGP will perform
> better than Riva PCI for 8 MB RAM?

Not for Linux. The advantage of AGP is the extra memory bandwidth
available for high performance 3D graphics. Most X servers are
just as dumb as mapping the video buffer into their address space
and writing bits into it. Only the "accelerated" ones are capable
of using the "draw line", "fill rectangle" capabilities of the
graphics card.

Shanu's mail about the i810 is the first time I saw someone implement
AGP/GART support. I'd read up about AGP quite a bit - but never got
a chance to do anything about it myself. For those curious about AGP,
there are good docs at:

http://developer.intel.com/technology/agp/tutorial/index.htm

	-Arun

	-Arun