[LI] regarding ALS100 sound card and the modem....

hi shalabh,
	   isn't it a littly eery that you and i seem to have the same set of
"geeky" (i wouldn't like to say problematic coz its linux at stake!) hardware?

first the SiS 6215 and now the ALS100...

Well, the ALS100 configuration problem is probably there coz there's a bug in
the sndconfig itself. the problem is solved by configuring it as a SB16 clone
instead...
try to configure it like that...

and i am anyway giving you my working /etc/conf.modules file as below.
remember to change the base address, irq etc to suit your system.

alias sound sb
pre-install sound /sbin/insmod sound dmabuf=1
alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 mpu_io=0x330

if using a similar conf.modules doesn't work, tell me and i'll post you my
/etc/isapnp.conf itself (quite a long one-7 kb). i probably did some manual
tweaking to that...

all the best.
let me tell you that if you are trying mp3 files, the xmms works far better
than the mp3 players in win95 when its run with the suid bit set. the
bottomline is, rest assured: the ALS100 works marvellously with RH6.1 !

now about the modem.
well, looks like your modem like mine (lanbit 33.6) has three levels of volume
settings while kppp tries to use four settings...
so go to the kppp modem settings dialog box and set last entry (for "Volume
off/low/high")as M1L3 instead of M1L4 as already existing.

best,
joy