Re: From GNOME to KDE (was: Re: [LI] Any Explorer look-alikes)

On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 01:43:04PM +0530, Binand Raj S. wrote:
> Arun Sharma forced the electrons to say:
> >
> > Use switchdesk-kde to switch.
> >
> > 	-Arun
<snip>

> Is this a bug in the usekde script? Is switchdesk-kde any better? I believe
> this last mentioned runs from X.

You're right. I forgot about the bug. Here's what you can do:

echo KDE > /etc/sysconfing/desktop and run at initlevel 5.

I think the real bug is ignoring $HOME/.xsession. So I normally
modify /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession to have:

# otherwise, take default action
if [ -x "$HOME/.xsession" ]; then
    exec "$HOME/.xsession"
elif [ -x "$HOME/.Xclients" ]; then
    exec "$HOME/.Xclients"
elif [ -x /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients ]; then
    exec /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients
else
# now, we see if xdm/gdm/kdm has asked for a specific environment
case $# in
1)
    case $1 in
    failsafe)
        exec xterm -geometry 80x24-0-0
        ;;
    gnome)
        exec gnome-session
        ;;
    kde)
        exec startkde
        ;;
    anotherlevel)
        # we assume that switchdesk is installed.
        exec /usr/share/apps/switchdesk/Xclients.anotherlevel
        ;;
    esac
esac
fi

This way, I can have whatever I want in $HOME/.xsession and switch
desktops arbitrarily on a per user basis.

	-Arun