From GNOME to KDE (was: Re: [LI] Any Explorer look-alikes)

Arun Sharma forced the electrons to say:

> Use switchdesk-kde to switch.
>
> 	-Arun

That reminds me of a small problem I had - I usually avoid X, but
one of my users wanted to use KDE by default rather than GNOME (RHL
6.0). So I told him to try usekde from the command prompt. It cribbed:
/usr/etc/skel/.Xclients - no such file or directory. The file was in
/etc/X11/xinit/Xclients. I created /usr/etc/skel (the usual skel directory
on linux is /etc/skel) and put this file there as .Xclients. Now, usekde
installed the file ~/.Xclients, but this script has to be edited to use
kde - it does a grep KDE /etc/sysconfig/desktop - which also does not
exist - and starts GNOME if the grep fails. So it was only after putting
the line PREFERRED=startkde in ~/.Xclients that he could use KDE as his
default desktop.

Is this a bug in the usekde script? Is switchdesk-kde any better? I believe
this last mentioned runs from X.

Binand

--
#include <stdio.h>                                   | Binand Raj S.
char *p = "#include <stdio.h>%cchar *p = %c%s%c;     | This is a self-