Re: [LI] running dosemu from User login

On Sat, 18 December 1999, Rajesh Fowkar wrote:

> Hi Friends,
>
> When I try to run xdos from X terminal or dos from console I get the following
> error :
>
> [rajesh@rajesh] ~$ xdos
> Running unpriviledged in low feature mode
Check if your dosemu is running setuid. On my system,
[root@localhost /root]# ls -l `which dos`
-rwsr-xr-x   1 root     root       770132 Oct 11  1998 /usr/bin/dos
That is, "dos" should both belong to root and should be SETUID to it.
Also, check if your /etc/dosemu.users has a "nosuidroot" for user
"rajesh" by any chance.. Also, you could go through log files, try
an strace etc....
    From the error message that you get, it seems like dosemu is not
running as root, or is somehow dropping its root privileges (if it
had any to begin with...). If you cant find out what the problem is,
you could try a very dirty and insecure hack by adding "rajesh" to
the group to which /dev/hda belongs (user "disk" in my system), or
even worse... giving read/write permissions to "all" for /dev/hda.
----
Bye,
--vml
Model Engg. College, Cochin