[LI] S3 Trio 3d/2x + Kudzu

Hi people,
Pune market again went out of even SiS6326.. so I had to try a
S3 trio 3d/2x [8 MN 368 memory, 230 MHz ramdac with gamma correction,
66 MHZ AGP pipelined DMA mode, 64 bit graphics engine] last night. Here
is the series of problems I came across..

1. kudzu correctly determined the absence of earlier sis 6215c
from the hardware and deleted corresponding configuration.

2. Kudzu correctly detected the s3 card on board, down to the
last alphabet in the name.

3. While configuring this card, 'segmentation fault'! and [FAILED]
at the startup. In a running 'machine kudzu -s' could not help
either. Card detection is proper but configuration seems to be :-(

4. After firing XF86Setup or setup, the card is not there on the list.

What are the options that I have for configuring this card?
Chipset = 86c368 or Virge or something else?
RAMDAC = 230 or probed?
Card = S3 Trio or some other s3 [3d/2x not there explicitly - I don't
think I have missed on that in setup menus]
Which x server to choose for this [detailed setup of card - XF86Setup] ?
SVGA or some other from the list?

5. Manual of the card says that at 1024x768 non IL, it can give no more
than 8-16 bit colours.. I am happy with 16 bit colours. But how to get
there?

I tried many times throughout the night but got either hung [deadslow]
machine
or failure to start X.

To what extent does failure of kudzu might have affected the XF86Setup?

I request an elaborate answer. After my failure to locate Trident 3d
Image draw, I am here unable to get my hands on even Sis/8MB AGP.. so
now I am here..

Guys do help me. Those far away, can nominate their friends in Pune for
a treat after successful installation. Thanks a million

Rohit