Re: [LI] Yamaha YMF724

"Arjun Prabhu K" <arjunprabhu@xxxxxxxxx> on 12/15/99 05:45:55 PM

>Is it that difficult to write drivers for a soundcard ?? or are the
drivers
>available on some other Distro's ??

Hi there,
Good question you got there !! WHy don't you try writing the driver ??
IS it that difficult to write drivers for a soundcard ?? ;-)

>If any one of u know about a driver (NOT the OSS - $20 Chuna) Please
notify
>the LI list.

Well, I think we have someone here who is going to write the driver for us
!
Thanks Arjun ! You are so nice. ;-)

You know something Arjun, when I had windows I would not shell out a penny
for that, but when Linux came out ( And available almost everywhere ),
I was ready to pay any amount to get hold of Linux or related software
( Frankly ). And even today I would not hesitate if I had to pay 3000 bucks
to get hold of a Debian CD, But I would not do that if it were M$ software
( at the same price ). As a matter of fact, i wouldn't take any M$ software
even if were given to me free of cost. I hope you get the point here.
Free here does not mean cost ( It is the power of Source ).

And in Linux ( or any Open Source Software ), free does not necessarily
mean
free in the cost sense, it means free in the source sense ( The source is
available when you want it ). And even on OSS's site, there is
documentation
about Sound cards and all that and  you might want to help Alan Cox write
the Drivers for YMF724. ( We are waiting Arjun ! Go Ahead )

>As someone on this list rightly said
>>That's disgusting that Linux can't support Yamaha Card.
>>What to do?

And as some one else rightly said, it is the attitude problem with some
guys who
don't understand what Linux is all about. ;-)

Regards
     Khader