Re: [LI] DVD-ROM on Linux?

Subba Rao wrote:>

Hello Subba,

> machine. I haven't seen anything during the kernel compiles in 2.2.x versions,
> that mentions DVD support.

	AFAIK, DVD (and CD-RW) use UDF, and UDF (experimental write) support is
available in 2.3 kernel series. The DVD drive is essentially the same as
a CD-ROM drive except for the file system and the laser wavelength it
uses.

>If anyone else is using a DVD-ROM on Linux for DVD CDs, please let me know
> how you did it. I would like to get some use of the features offered by this
> device.

	I have successfully read from a CD-RW using UDF (didn't not attempt a
write though). Reading from a DVD will also be possible.

	As for movie playback, the CSS encryption algorithm has been cracked by
linux developers and software mpeg2 players should be appearing soon.
Dolby's AC-3 codec and DTS's 6 channel PCM surround sound are
preparatory so unless some one cracks that also, we probably will have
to skip digital surround sound and have to make do with 2 channel PCM
stereo / analog dolby surround.

HtH,
-- Shanu