[LI] Increasing the size of the mount point

Hi,
I wanna know if it possible to increase the size of space allocated to a
mount point.
I did a automatic installation for GNOME workstation, and it allocated
720 MB space to "/". But i need to add more space to the same mount
point. I need atleast 1200 Mb for "/". I have created a new partition
that is 500 MB.
Now i need to know if it possible, and if yes, how can a i combine the
two partitions which point to the same mount point "/".
Aruneesh