[LI] X v/s FBDev

> To get X going, make sure that the FBDev X server is installed (if not,
> mount the RHL 6.1 CD and "rpm -ivh /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/*FBDev*.rpm"),
> then go to /etc/X11 and run
> rm -f X
> ln -sf /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_FBDev X

Fine. Could be done. What I wish to do is retain X on my machine, say
compressed.
Instead of removing X, could I just 'gzip -r' it and keep it there? And
redefine
the symbolic link to point to FBDev?

This way, would I be able to switch between the two? If I keep both X11
and FBDev
uncompressed on my HDD? Or will installing FBDev make some changes to
dependencies?
Or to something else that I am not aware of?

Right now I have X11 running my beloved and cherished SiS with 1 MB
VRAM.
1024x768 runs wonderfully, but obviously with only 256 colours. So I
must
go down to 800x600, which gives a lot of snow on X11, to have 16 bit
colours,
which is barely supported here..[ratio 1024x1024/(800*600)= 1.09

Will it be supported? Or is some amount of VRAM reserved for
non-rendering
processing? I will try all that myself and of course, will report the
results,
if anyone wants to know.

Another question, does ctrl-alt-+/- allow one to switch amongst only
three
monitor resolution modes or does it allow one to do even more than that?

Rohit
Rohit