Re: [LI] Beautiful FBDev ( Great ) >> Simple Great FB and XWindow for All most all CARDS <<

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Dakshinamurthy Karra wrote:

> For all RH 6.1 users, I heard that the Kernel is already compiled with FBDEV
> support. Use vga=<code> at the lilo prompt.

That is correct - simply typing

linux 3 vga=791

at the lilo boot prompt does the job of putting the console into 1024x768
mode at 16 bpp - instant logo, too (which puts paid to Raj's comment to me
in Goa about "this is an advantage of compiling your own kernel" - the
stock RHL-shipped kernel does the job just fine ;-)

Just remember that the vga statement shown above needs to get a decimal
number (all the docs use hex)

Hence use the values from this table:

    | 640x480  800x600  1024x768 1280x1024
----+-------------------------------------
256 |   769      771     773      775
32k |   784      787     790      793
64k |   785      788     791      794
16M |   786      789     792      795

Try a few values until you get the one that works for you, then add the
line

vga=xxx

to your /etc/lilo.conf

e.g.

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
vga=791
image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label=linux
	root=/dev/hda1
	read-only

To get X going, make sure that the FBDev X server is installed (if not,
mount the RHL 6.1 CD and "rpm -ivh /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/*FBDev*.rpm"),
then go to /etc/X11 and run

rm -f X
ln -sf /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_FBDev X

Now edit /etc/X11/XF86Config and add the following section as the first
entry after the line "Screen Sections":

# **********************************************************************
# Screen sections
# **********************************************************************

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "FBDev"
    Device      "MyCard"
    Monitor     "MyMonitor"
    Subsection "Display"
        Modes       "default"
    EndSubsection
EndSection

Replace "MyCard" and "MyMonitor" with the Identifier values found in the
"Device" and "Monitor" sections that can be found in the earlier part of
the file.

Play around with this, and things should work for you - even if you are
the "proud" owner of a SiS 6215 card.

There are a few issues, speed being one (or rather the lack of it), but I
will take that up in the next message.

*WARNING*: Your mileage might vary. If you specify 1024x768 on a monitor
that cannot take it, I am not responsible for the broken Windows in your
house when your monitor blows up. Of course you won't have to worry about
that because you will probably be sitting in front of the monitor when you
try this, which means that your worries will have come to an end. ;-)

Atul