[LI] SETI @Home

Hi,

OK, another chain letter, but hopefully not in the spirit of ``Votes
for Gandhi'' et al.  This is a global effort, and I feel that most
Linux users would be interested in the SETI.  If you're not, feel free
to flame!

SETI is the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence.  They have
hundreds of radio telescopes dividing the sky into pieces and scanning
it for radio signals which have originated from an intelligent race
somewhere in the Galaxy.  It is believed that an intelligent race
would definitely put out some indicator of its existence, and radio is
believed to be the best medium for doing this.

Now, it requires petaflops of computer power to be able to
differentiate between real signals and the random noise which is
coming in from all over the place.  So the SETI team started the
SETI@Home project, which is basically a distributed processing
facility for checking SETI data for valid signals.  If you run Winduhs
(and maybe Mac) you can get a SETI screensaver which (I presume) shows
you SETI-related pictures while processing SETI data and uploading the
results to the SETI team.  For Linux and other Unixen you download a
text-based pre-compiled program which you can run in the background.
This program will periodically contact the SETI@Home site, download
some more raw SETI data, process it and upload the results back to
SETI.

I've been running this since yesterday on my notebook.  In about 4
hours of running time I've managed to process ~25% of the block of
data allocated to me.  Sorry, no exciting peaks found yet!  I guess
I'll be ready to upload and get a new block in a couple of days.  In
the meantime, the SETI program boots up when my computer does, and
continues it's work at very low priority, so my foreground tasks don't
suffer.  Also, I don't need to be on the 'Net all the time -- only at
download and upload times.  The rest of the time I can process SETI
data offline.