RE: [LI] RH 6.1 Machine hangs on issuing a PING!!!

Hi TIA all the guys who responded to my query.  Here are my answers for the
queries posed.  Sorry for the delay in coming back to u.  I am still stuck
up with the problem.  The machine an IBM PC 300 GL works well with NT.  It
resides on another partition.

1.  is ifconfig showing a reliable information ? ie is the eth-card
initialised properly ?

Yes.  The ouput shows the regular stuff.

2.  What does 'hangs' mean here? Just stops working and responding to
everything or anything else?

It just stops responding.  The only way left is to reboot.  Keyboard hangs
and the display hangs.  Alt+Fn keys do not take me to another virtual
terminal.

3.  Check what does 'cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all' spits. If
that is 1, make it 0. This makes it respond to pings.

It is giving 0.

4.  If that entry is already 0, its time for wild guesses :). Are you sure
that ICMP echo support is compiled into the kernel?

I have not touched the kernel at all.  It is the default 6.1 installation
that came with PCQ CD.

5.  More of wild guesses :) Are the DNS entries (/etc/hosts to be more
specific) in all the machines properly configured?

Yep.  I am sure.  When they work with other operating systems, it should not
be a problem only from this machine I suppose.

6.  u mean to say, u can telnet/ftp/http to and from your irritant??? what
is
the o/p of ifconfig??

No.  I am not able to telnet.  The machine is not able to participate in the
network.  The output of ifconfig seems to be reliable; er.. the usual stuff
showing its IP address et al.

Any further guesses and help?

TIA
Ramakrishna