[LI] Re: X Display

> I use XDM on my system. When I login and try to "su - localuser" in
> a xterm, I get the following message:
>
> /dev/ttypc: Operation not permitted
>
> I do get the shell prompt after this message for the "localuser".
>
> After I set and export the DISPLAY value to :0.0 and I try to call an
> X application, I get,

> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> Error: Can't open display: :0.0
>
> By changing the current configuration, I will be loosening the security of
> X windows, but I do need other users to be able to use the same display
> at the same time. How do I accomplish that? What files do I need to change?

Thanks to all those who replied. The solution to the first problem, was
that I had the program "biff" executed in /etc/profile. I deleted that call
and the message did disappear.

The second problem is a little bit trickier. Although, the "xhost + name"
helped, the problem was with the DISPLAY number. I was using VNC server which
had a different display number. Once the SUed user exported the DISPLAY
number of VNC, then the user could start any X application.

Thanks again for all the help.

Subba Rao
subb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/

 => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
http://www.smcinnovations.com