[LI] Re: needed urgent help for Cd-writing

On Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 05:59:27PM +0530, linuxfan@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> yes, I had checked and it is writable.
> The problem is ,during boot time it is capturing the IDE CD
> as the /dev/hdd but for CD writing it has to be as SCSI device
> which can be done by using ide-cd.o module but i dont have that module.
>
> Is there any way to prevent the IDe-CDROm drive from detetcting
> during the boot time ?

Here's a snippette from linux/drivers/block/ide.c

/*
 * ide_setup() gets called VERY EARLY during initialization,
 * to handle kernel "command line" strings beginning with "hdx="
 * or "ide".  Here is the complete set currently supported:
 *
 * "hdx="  is recognized for all "x" from "a" to "h", such as "hdc".
 * "idex=" is recognized for all "x" from "0" to "3", such as "ide1".
 *
 * "hdx=noprobe"        : drive may be present, but do not probe for it
 * "hdx=none"           : drive is NOT present, ignore cmos and do not probe
 */

So you probably need hdd=none or hdd=noprobe. As for ide-cd.o, I can't
find it on my RH 6.1 box - looks like you'll have to have a custom kernel.

	-Arun

PS: It's better if you mail your questions to the list - everyone benefits
from the conversation that way and it won't defeat my filters and you'll
get your answers no slower than if you mail me personally.