[LI] Re: Partitioning : No free primary

Hi,
I also had a similar problem when I was trying to install RH 6.1 for a colleague of mine on a 2GB Hard disk. He wanted to maintain a 200 MB DOS partition so I started off with 32 MB of swap and whatever was left was to be the LINUX partition. But after allocating the DOS partition, Swap space there was approximately 1770 MB of space left & while trying to pass 1768MB or so for LINUX partition I got the error "no free space". I tried a couple of times but all in vain so I deleted all the partitions except DOS and allocated swap and allocated 1500 for LINUX native and slowly incremented it to around 1750MB without getting the error (I iterated this for about 3-4 times to arrive at the max size I could go for LINUX native partition without getting the error). I am not sure why it came but I definetly got around it. I still have about 8-10 MB of unpartioned space on the disk. As for the other thing like file system - I have win98+winNT+Linux on my office & home computer with the FAT/NTFS/Linux file systems. Linux can read the NTFS system without hassels and not being able to write to it is not a problem as I store all my data in FAT partition (for for al three OS) for ease. the single most advantage of this system is that I can experiment with NT and LInux as many times as I like including formatting or deleting the partitions without the fear of loosing my data which is on a different partition (FAT - I never touch that one for anything). So all curious TOMS out there can follow this tip and become safe from potential backfires of experimenting. As someone has already mentioned install them in the sequence win98 then win NT then LINUX and never repair the MBR when prompted by window.
bye
Pankaj Mathur
Bangkok