Re: [LI] Partitioning : No free primary

On Wed, 08 Dec 1999, you wrote:
> This I came across last night..
> I have a Samsung HDD 8.4 GB, 1027 Cyl.
> Wished to have NT + Linux on my hdd.
> The problem is that after allocating less than half of HDD to NT, it
> has become impossible to allocate the rest to Linux.
>
> Here is the sequence of events..
> 1. I create a DOS/FAT partition on a raw HDD, totalling 6oo MB. [Since
> max size    would be 2 GB under DOS, and I wish to have 3.5 GB types for
> NT out of 8        GB, I make the  first active partition worth 600 MB,
> just for NT system]
> 2. Install NT on this and convert the filesystem to NTFS at the time of
> setup.
> 3. Create a second D:\ in NTFS format size of which is 2.5 GB. Thus
> leaving more    than 50% of HDD raw space free for Linux.
>
> At the time of installation, the free space is correctly detected by
> disk druid and I start allocating partitions.. after crossing first two
> partitions, [I tried some permutations of allocations too, was unable to
> catch any other pattern] it gives an error : Can not allocate partition,
> no free primary.
> Also, from text I switched to graphic install and there was an
> 'occupancy indicator' on the interface which would suddenly shoot up to
> 'red' indicating little space on HDD where something like 3 GB must
> still have been free...
>
> When do we get this error usually?
> What could be the cause?
> And how to correct it?
> [I do not have internet access here, so please do not provide links]
>
> Rohit

I would not recommend using NTFS on a dual boot Linux/NT box. First of all
Linux has Beta read only support for NTFS. Which means you cannot even
mount your windows partition under Linux for write access to files ( you will
need it trust me It has helped immensly for me at work). Also If you want to use
the NT  kernel loader to boot Linux or NT you wont go anywhere with NTFS and you
will be stuck with a Linux boot floppy for ever .

Sorry I dont have an answer for tyour real problem though ;-) Is it possible
that NTFS masks out the primary boot partition  that the install routine has
problem a with it

sathya