Re: [LI] RH6.1 passwd - bug?

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Soumyanath Chatterjee wrote:

+ In my earlier version of Linux (RH5.2) I could have some guest account without
+ any password. After I have upgraded to RH6.1 I am not able to log into those
+ account. By giving null password.

You can still do that. Delete the second entry in the passwd file,
whatever it is (like "sSFvdGFd12ssd", or "x").  This will give a null
passwd (not "enter").

+
+ My effort to change the password was unusccessful. In desperation I edited the
+ /etd/passwd file and put some junk in the password field - now I can change
+ the password.

Great work :) I thought no mortal could compute the encryption string
which goes in the passwd field. You did it, but missed that slightly :)

+
+ Is it a bug or I have done some mistake?
+

The latter.

Sharad.
~~~~~~~~