[LI] RH6.1 passwd - bug?

In my earlier version of Linux (RH5.2) I could have some guest account without
any password. After I have upgraded to RH6.1 I am not able to log into those
account. By giving null password.

My effort to change the password was unusccessful. In desperation I edited the
/etd/passwd file and put some junk in the password field - now I can change
the password.

Is it a bug or I have done some mistake?

- Soumya