Re: [[LI] SiS6215 (Success in getting 1024x768 resolution)]

Hi Dev,

Following is the detailed procedure I followed for installation of my SiS6215
card on Red Hat 6.1 system.

1. Run the Xconfigurator from the setup menu.  Make sure your /etc/inittab
has the system initdefault as 3 and not 5.

2. Select "SiS6215(PCQ)" from the display card list.

3. Choose the monitor from the Monitor List. I had selected Custom since it is
not in the list. I have manually changed Horizontal and Vertical Refresh
rate in XF86Config file as stated in my Monitor Manual.

4. Select Non-Interlaced SVGA for server.

5. Select "Don't Probe" for the prompt for probing display card.

6. If you Don't Probe it asks you to select the VRAM on your card. Select the
appropriate RAM.

Now the setup program will create  /etc/X11/XF86Config file. By default the
VRAM which you have selected is a commented line in this file. Remove the
comment (#) from that line.

7. Now run startx and if still in case of  some problem try enabling "no_accel"
option in XF86Config file.

In my case the PCQ SVGA server was unable to give me 800x600 resolution at 16
bit which I was getting earlier with Red Hat 6.0 SVGA server. Hence I had to
uninstall this new server and install SVGA server from CHIP CD. After this I
got 800x600 resolution 16 bit.

As Atul Suggested I even downloaded the latest xSiS.rpm from SuSe site and
installed but still I could not succeed to get the above reolution at 16 bit
colour depth.

Last week I went through the readme file of SiS cards and tried some tweaking
in XF86Config file to see whether I can get 1024x768 at 16 bit .

I entered the following options in XF86Config file :

Option   "fast_vram"
Option   "pci_burst_on"

and voila now I am working in 1024x768 resolution with 16 bit colour depth.

Hope this helps. In case of any problems you can get back to me.

All the best.

--
Rajesh (ALIAS Shriram)
Kurtarkar Nagari, Bldg-C,