Re: [LI] Linux Router

In continuation of the Linux Router..

I have checked Eicon site and found that currently the cards has SCO Unix support and Linux support will be provided by end of the calendar year. somewhere the site shows that has Linux support but fails to mention how to go about it. Check the following pages.(eicon.com/x25unix/default.htm, www.eicon.ca/products/new-wan.htm, www.eicon.ca/partner/polfs/LinuxE3.pdf)

I have found out the prices for Eicon card availible in India. They are as follows.
S51- 2MB RAM, X.25, ISDN adapter, PCI  ----Rs. 85,000/-
S52- 2MB RAM, ISA PnP, 512KBps speed   ----Rs. 115,000/-
S94- 2MB RAM, upto 2MBPS speed, PCI    ----Rs. 140,000/-

Looking at the prices above one could feel that the costs are similar to standard Cisco router. So going for a Linux router with X.25 interface card may not prove that cost effective.

Suggestions- 1. There is a company called RAD who manufactures Muxes, routers and lot of telecom equipments. They have product range called MAXaccess which has X.25, ISDN, Voice ports etc facility. These products are marketed by MRO-TEK in India. They are cheaper that Cisco but can give similar support. Though I have not used to comment on them. You can check them on www.mro-tek.com or www.rad.com.

2. The VSAT IDU usually has a LAN port that can be connected to your Linux box directly and you could control your network without any problem. You can check th same with HECL guys to help in this case. This way you could have your Linux box as well.

Hope this helps.

regards,

Vaibhav

Vaibhav Patkar wrote:

> NSE does not use Linux. They use Windows NT WS on the dealers side. So
Linux