Re: [LI] ILUG Blr Meeting Minutes <Hrs?>

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Gandalf Mithrandir wrote:

> For all those who couldn't be there, here's a rough synopsis of what
> happened at the ILUG blr meeting on Saturday 27th Nov, 1999. Sorry for the
> size, lotsa things happened.

Couple of things to add. I would have posted them this mroning, but
something wrecked my mood....

IAC, here we go:

Number of people who attended the meet - 59. Not exactly an all-time low,
but dangerously there. The number rose to 60 at 6pm when Sachin walked in,
having missed the fact that the meet was at 4pm! This explained a whole
lot of things! ;-)

Jessie, our hardworking and super-efficient ILUG-BLR coordinator, was
absent thanks to a surging desire to shake hands with Linus Torvalds -
which she did - at COMDEX in the USA. We asked her to have her hand
amputated and cast in epoxy, but for some reason she turned us down.

The AMD Athlon-500 machine we had for the meet took just 4 seconds to
start X - amazing, I want one! Thanks to Avinash for arranging for us to
have a glimpse of this powerhouse!

BTW - I tried booting RHL 5.2 off the machine this evening. It bombed,
just like the Debian install did. As Hanish had suspected, it was the
kernel. Apologies to Khader for the embarrassment.

422 photographs of the Linux Pavilion at Bangalore IT.COM will be
available for download by this weekend, including a blow-by-blow account
authored by official ILUG-BLR chronicler Gandalf. It will be up whenever
KD (the official LI webmaster) gets time away from his beloved Windows NT
machine....

Food was excellent - everyone went for seconds. Some went for thirds.
Some....

There have been complaints in the past that ILUG-BLR meets are too
non-technical. Those complaints have been decisively put to rest. Between
Hanish, Kalakrishnan and KD, we managed to raise technical Cain. ;-) It
was quite clear by the end of the day that the source was with us....

No projector this time, so I couldn't show videos of the
ILUG-Delhi-on-Star-Plus show, and in any case there wasn't enough time.
But I would just like to point out to everyone that I also have a copy of
"Pirates of Silicon Valley - the story of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs",
which I will run (90 minutes) the next time we have a meet with enough
time *and* a projector.....

Sadly, we will now go into withdrawal symptoms - cold turkey, if you will
- as it seems unlikely that we will meet again before some 250 million PCs
blue-screen into Y2K-induced stupor, while the Penguin dances a wild mambo
into the millenium's sunset....

Atul