Re: [LI] ILUG Blr Meeting Minutes <Hrs?>

Dear Folks,

<rant>
It's rather irritating when I get mad enough to realize I'm gonna make a
fool outta myself, but I really must clear all this nonsense. I've logged
back on to reply to this - so I might as well say my 2ps. I know that
flamebait should be left alone, but this is just too much! Raghavendra Bhat
, apart from RTFA<rchives>, I must add RTFP<ost>. You can't read or what?
Huh? PLEASE read my post again - and this time, take it real slow. Here are
2 lines to start you off:

>Just to make things VERY clear - all the ribbing was done in a FRIENDLY
vein - please do NOT flame me, I
><and the LUG Blr> really want to try Debian.

I added these lines especially to make sure that fools didn't misinterpret
what I wrote. It seems I got fooled. There's the old line about S/w engg
being a constant race between idiot proofing s/w and the Universe producing
bigger idiots. The Universe is winning, and by the sights of it, on this
list as well.

>Gandalf Mithrandir vehemently posts:

Anyone detect any vehemence? Anywhere? Mike testing 1,2,3... can you hear
me?

> All of us are using GNU/Linux thanks to the PCQ Initiative in providing us
with Red
> Hat Linux. If PCQ had given us Debian, we would have followed that path.
Sad to say, PCQ
> went on to Red hat from Slackware and kaput...we are stuck there !!

I hate to jump to PCQ's defence <not that it needs one> - but no one asked
you to use their CD's.. Go ahead, get your own and use 'em. Or download a
600+MB image. Be my guest. If you do use PCQ's CD, Shut up and stop
complaining about what they gave you. If you have a problem with the CD or
stuff on it, post, gripe, or rant, but don't complain about what they are
doing - no one is giving them anything for what they are doing to help the
Linux community.
If you'd had any sense, you'd privately post or talk to Atul <as an example>
and ask him why RH rather than Debian. And why not a new distro once in a
while? Which <to your great surprise> both Khader and I, did do. And he was
kind enough to explain. And we know why as well, now. So, if you'd think it
to be so sad, stick with Slackware, it's a perfectly good distro. No one's
forcing you to use ANY distro. BUY <whatever>, spend some big bucks and have
fun!

>HeHeHe...I should laugh at U blokes who are stuck with a dud, huge
>default install of not less than 400 MB of Red Hat Linux v6.1 from the
>PCQuest CD. How many of U are using (seriously) packages that were

Back to the same point - go buy a <?> CD and use it, hero, save all of your
400MB. As for dud, my install works perfectly fine. I'd rather use that
adjective <dud> to describe posters <imposters?> on LI who talk outta their
hats, without facts.

>installed by default ? Do U know what all packages are lurking out
>there on UR machine ? Have U got a clue of what is going on....

Ever heard of CUSTOM install? I just got a friend's machine with the PCQ CD
installed with X and KDevelop on 268MB of HDD. And I'm happy. It could
probably be done with even less, but 268MB is fine by me. Looks like some
else is clueless around here.

>Tnx to Syed K. Vali's post, U have got an opportunity to see Debian
>GNU/Linux CDs at UR meet. Otherwise no soul would have given three

Sorry. Tnx to Khader, I've gonna GET 2 Debian CD's. And should that make you
deliriously happy? As for me, if you are the default <and I know it's
not...> Debian user - hell, man I gotta think about this distro! The Debian
folks I know <Shanu, Indranil, Khader spring to the mind> are nice peace
loving sensible folks, so something is seriously wrong here.

>I was stuck on the Red Hat v6.1 GUI install on my friend's machine but
>no problems on my computer. The mileage varies.

So what does that prove? That Debian should have installed on the machine at
the Ilug-Blr, but we screwed up? Or that RH6.1 should have installed and you
screwed up? Either ways, you don't seem to be particularly constructive. And
to add another line from my original post:

>We however, unanimously decided to ensure that the next LUG would
definitely have a full Debian install,
>something that we would plan, rehearse and check b4 we meet

Huh? You didn't read? Or it didn't matter?

As for this thread. It's officially DEAD. Please. I'd think the rest of the
LI Debian community at large has had it up to their necks with preachers and
stormtroopers screaming "Debian or Death". Give them and us all a break.
Please, read carefully and then post. And, for heavens sake, if you want to
flame, don't waste bandwidth, flame ME.
</rant>

B4 I leave, if any Debian folks out there still care, I still want to try.

Sorrowfully,

    Gandalf Mithrandir   /* "Mobilis in mobile." */   gandalf@xxxxxxxxx
/*   Any Sufficiently Advanced Operating System is indistinguishable from Linux   */
// Do not meddle with SysAds for they are quick to anger and subtle in their ways //