Re: [LI] Bare Bones Linux

On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 04:25:21PM +0530, skhader@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I don't want to use an rpm or dpkg or pkgtool and
> get some prepackaged binary files. I want to get
> the source files and do it all myself. Can anyone help
> me out here by giving some directions as to how I can
> proceed or any link would also be appreciated. I just want
> this to be something like a distro-free Linux. ;-) and of
> course that means full power for me. ;-)

This is exactly how FreeBSD works. Unlike Linux, they have a well
defined "base" system - to which source is available via cvsup.
Periodically people sync their source trees with cvsup and type
make world. And everything is built. On a fast (400-500 MHz machine)
this process takes about an hour.

May be such a common minimum base system is needed in the Linux world
too. So if you have the time, you might want to create a minimal
"source" distribution, along with a binary distribution.

	-Arun