Re: [LI] Re: Defragmenting an ext2 FS, was >> Boot loaders Any advantage <<

On Sun, Nov 28, 1999 at 10:26:22PM +0530, C Hanish Menon wrote:

>  Arun Wrote
> > multilevel bootloader.
>
> Is there any advantage, I mean significant advantage and which can't be
> achieved thro lilo.

Yes.

(a) I don't have to run /sbin/lilo everytime I install a new kernel.
(b) If I have 20 kernels, I don't want them all listed in /etc/lilo.conf
(c) If I do things like defragmentation, I don't want to run lilo
(d) Even things like backing up and restoration can screw you up

	cp /boot/vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz.orig
	cp /boot/vmlinuz.orig /boot/vmlinuz

    reboot and you can't boot anymore.

It's not a major shortcoming, but its annoying given that better ways
exist.

As for the capability to boot other OSes, LILO doesn't do the work, but
acts as a chain boot loader.

	-Arun