Re: [LI] installation problem : RH6.1

Manish Bhalla wrote:

> Dear All,
> i got this request for help regarding Rh6.1 installation, and frankly i am stumped. so i am forwarding the message on to LI, in the hope that all the 'guru's out there may be able to help.
>
> "From: D V Sridharan  sridharandv@xxxxxxxx
> Subject: linux help
>
> the first time i tried everything went off well, i had the kde desktop running etc... but i thought it was too slow... so tried a reinstall with fewer ops. - thats when the wheels came off... the reinstall went well... but my old darling refuses to boot... after the message "congratulations... remove media and restart" the screen prints LI- and blinks...

i have seen a lot of these and beleive me AFAIK this is the only solution to this prob. boot from the winduss boot disk and run fdisk with /mbr. then do a dummy install of ur linux box and when prompted to which partition the lilo info is to be stored u can either choose hda1 ( do the same again and may encounter similar probs ) or into the first sector of ur linux native partition ( which i prefer ) then boot using the bootdisk and copy the file vmlinuz-xxx.xx.xx file to a direc on ur winduss m/c. copy the file loadlin.exe from the linux cd onto the same direc. write a batch file which has a single line
loadlin vmlinuz ( rename the original file to this ) boot=/dev/hdax ( the partition u installed lilo )
now boot into winduss nad run the batch file to get into linux ( simple ) ;-)

> i tried rebooting with the boot disk prepared during install: this time i type 'linux' or 'rescue' against the 'boot:' prompt and i get a series of errors, like error 0x80 or 0x04 and the like... the process autocycles forever...

bad sectors in the floppy ??? very much possible.
--
Chetan Gopal K.
7th sem. Computer Science and Engineering,