Re: [LI] Linux Inda and Debian

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Raj Mathur wrote:

> Similarly, I don't expect that the creation of a Debian-only list will
> harm any of our interests (note: I didn't say ego's ;-) .  If Debian
> users feel more comfortable keeping their Debian-specific problems out
> of Linux-India, why not?  They are more likely to get attention in a
> Debian-only list, so I wish them vaya con Dios in their endeavour.  Of
> course, it doesn't look like it's going to happen now, certain sid's
> having cravenly withdrawn their proposals ;-), but it's likely to crop
> up again.

Here's another perspective for you:

A couple of days ago, I was in Bombay, and one of the guys attending the
seminar, apparently a LI subscriber but only a lurker, made a *very*
interesting comment:

"Why do these guys want to turn us Debian users into outcasts?"

Food for thought? ;-)

The issue was *not* about a Debian-only list - as I have said before, no
one objects to that. The issue was about "ILUG-DEBIAN", which is *not*
acceptable. LI does *not* cater to separate distros or permit this kind of
segregation.

I also note that despite all the objections raised by people on this list,
the "ilug-debian" list continues to exist on eGroups - that sends a
message I don't like. It is very easy to close down the group and rename
it to something else ("debian-users-india"?), so I am surprised that
sidcarter hasn't done it yet.

As for your "rueful" confession about splitting the list with ilug-Delhi -
you seem to have missed the primary charter of Linux India:

"Linux India is the association if Linux User Groups in India".

If one goes by your confession, I suspect that ilug-bangalore, with its
200+ members (of which 50-80 attend every meeting) is an *even* bigger
list splitter, right?

Let's get back to the scheduled program here.

Atul