Re: [LI] Linux Inda and Debian

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Raj Mathur wrote:

> Y'know, the charge of splitting the community could be laid against me
> too -- after all, I started the Linux-Delhi mailing list, which could
> be perceived as driving a wedge between the Linux-India and the
> Linux-Delhi users.

Not really. Look at the situation from the eyes of a user of a certain
cruddy OS, who is looking for something better and wants to try out Linux.
To him, the fact that there is an LI *and* and LI-D is an encouraging
signal. To him, It means that there probably are LUG groups everywhere,
including small towns (Delhi *is* a small town, right? ;) It tells him
that his needs will be taken care of right in his own town.

> Similarly, I don't expect that the creation of a Debian-only list will
> harm any of our interests

On the contrary. To Mr. Win-luser looking to become a Linux user, this is
confusing. Why should there be a Linux-India *and* a Linux-India-Debian,
he asks himself. Don't they get along, or what, he wonders. Which one
should I join ? Oh! and whats that... Is that a new Linux-India-SuSE
meeting going yonder, the beaches of sunny Goa... What are these guys
up to? He now remembers a story that he read in a certain flippant glossy
about this Capital LUG where members get routinely bashed up for using the
M-word. His confusion turning to disillusionment, he retreats back to his
Registry.

To make this more dramatic, remember the last time you went to that
typical Indian party, where all the men stick to one side and all the
women to another. Sure, they have different concerns and interests,
probably some even share rare moments of genuine camaraderie in their
common cause. But was it fun? Wouldn't you rather feed face and move limb
at a joust where gender is spatially homogenised? It is so much more fun,
no?

> If Debian users feel more comfortable keeping their Debian-specific
> problems out of Linux-India, why not?

You mean Debian users have problems ? ;) No, seriously, this is unfair to
me. I want to know what Debian users concerns are. I am always on the
lookout for a good distribution and maybe Debianers discussing their
concerns on this very list might give me some pointers in that direction.
Like all Linux users I am very promiscuous when it comes to my
distribution. I like the creative tension of many distributions, and their
respective users flexing their muscles on a common stage. I like the
flirtatious invitations where one user tries to show-off and seduce the
other with the special features that he thinks only his distro has. It's
like that party I told you about. Its so much more *fun*.

> Of course, it doesn't look like it's going to happen now, certain
> sid's having cravenly withdrawn their proposals

But Raj, this was to be expected. Given the higher intelligence of the
average Debian user, good sense was bound to return ;)

> but it's likely to crop up again.

A more logical sub-group to form would the Linux-India-SIS mailing list.
Now *that* is a breakaway faction that you and I must really support ;)