[LI] xterm problem

I have RH6.1 working fine but one problem. In X-windows xterm, kvt,
konsole are not running from normal user logins. But they are running
fine from root login. What can be the problem.
For time being i changed the mode to +s for xterm but i don't think this
is the way I should do it and in any case this procedure is not working
for kvt and konsole. After running xterm I tried kvt and found folloing
error : -

kvt: Can't open a pseudo teletype
kvt: Quitting

Help !!!

My startx works fine but backspace does not work for xdm/kdm. Please
help.

Thanks a lot in adv.
nadeem