Re: [LI] Re: Sudhakar Chandrasekharan

Suresh Ramasubramanian proclaimed:
> This is throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Not neccesarily.  Majordomo is good in some of the things it does.  But it
still has a long way to go in delivering all the stuff they promised for
majordomo 2.0.  I don't even see them mention 2.0 in their roadmap.  And
all the documentation points to "will be implemented in 2.0" for missing
features.

> now for your other queries -
> Filters, auto reply bots (who needs to reply to all the bounces??) etc.
> will do a lot of the work for you.  Hint - see
>
> http://www.greatcircle.com/majordomo/majordomo-faq.html#3.2

I already do this.  But even with this it is a pain to maintain.  I get
bombarded with 300+ mails bouncing from overflowing hotmail / yahoo mail
boxen.  listar (or is it smartlist) has a very nice configurable feature
where you can specify the number of bounces from an address after which an
email address is automatically moved to the bounces mailing list.

> The best is LSOFT ListServ - available for all sorts of o/s - but dunno
> re Deb (it is available for digital afaict) - again, there is a free
> edition for lists of upto 500 members in size.

ListServ, because of its commercial nature is not an option for me.

Thaths
--
"I'm Kent Brockman.  On the eleven o'clock news tonight, a certain kind
of soft drink has been found to be lethal.  We won't tell you which one