[LI] Re: Sudhakar Chandrasekharan

Thaths

This is throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

On 23 Nov 99, at 23:39, thus spake Sudhakar Chandrasekharan:

> * Duplicate emails (The majordomo site tells me that this is because
> of a broken flock() in Linux)

>From the Majordomo FAQ

> There have been many reports from Linux users complaining about
> duplicate mail. The problem seems to be that flock() under Linux is
> broken. This may be fixed in a future release, but for now in
> sendmail's conf.h in the #ifdef __linux__ section add a line #define
> HASFLOCK 0. There are also reports that some versions of the libc have
> problems, and that linking with the libresolv.a from a recent BIND
> version will work around the problem. [ Please let me know if you have
> any more information --ed ]

now for your other queries -

* Virus / worm infected mails getting
> through * Volume of posts * Difficulty in administering the lists
> (Over 600 bounced messages every day)

Filters, auto reply bots (who needs to reply to all the bounces??) etc.
will do a lot of the work for you.  Hint - see

http://www.greatcircle.com/majordomo/majordomo-faq.html#3.2

in fact, download the entire html file and read it word for word when
you have time.  Most of your cribs vanish into thin air.

> Do any of you know of any good alternatives to majordomo that is (and
> this is important) free.  I came up with smartlist and listar as
> possible alternatives.

The best is LSOFT ListServ - available for all sorts of o/s - but dunno
re Deb (it is available for digital afaict) - again, there is a free
edition for lists of upto 500 members in size.

suresh

Suresh Ramasubramanian
106D, Aditya Enclave, Ameerpet, Hyderabad 500038, India.
Phone: +(91-40)3736553/3745398 | eFax: +(1-603)590-5437
Suresh@xxxxxxxxxxx | Suresh@xxxxxxxx
http://www.kcircle.com | http://www.angen.net/~pegasus/
    The instructions said Upgrade to Windows 95
    or better.  So I upgraded to Linux.